HealingDeva.com Forum Index HealingDeva.com
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to technical difficulties beyond our control (or repair) hundreds of forum posts have been wiped out. Also, if you registered AFTER JAN. 8th, 2005, you will need to reregister as that information is also lost. We sincerely apologize.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypnosis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HealingDeva.com Forum Index -> Online Classes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:12 p    Post subject: Hypnosis Reply with quote

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON THE PREVIOUS FORUM BY mysa

------------------
Hypnosis is a very broad topic. There is a lot of variety in technique and applications. It also has a lot of sub-modalities attached to it, which further complicates things. Therefore to begin this thread, let me start by explaining hypnosis in terms of trance, and what is meant by that word.

Trace is a very misunderstood state, primarily because it is such a broad state. It ranges from very light trance, as in “waking hypnosis” (or even highway hypnosis) to ultra deep states, such as the conscious coma. Therefore, we need a starting point. I will begin with a brief look at brain waves, as that point.

When an EEG (electroencephalogram) is done, normal tracings show four classes of waveforms. These are labeled Beta, Alpha, Theta, and Delta.

Beta waves represent the conscious mind at work in its logical, reasoning state. We spend much of our waking time in Beta. This range of waveforms includes those with the highest peaks, and the closest (most rapid) pattern.

The next lower, somewhat slower range is named Alpha. This state is generally characterized as a state of alert relaxation. The most common examples of this state, in its more extreme form includes that vegetative state so often experienced after an exhausting day, when an individual is collapsed in front of the television, eyes glued to the screen. The person can move if necessary, and can blink more often than s/he actually cares to, but it just doesn’t seem worth the effort. This might also be the person who is staring into a wood fire, seemingly transfixed by the flickering flames. Interestingly enough, when Transcendental Meditation was first becoming popular in the US, EEG studies were done, and it was discovered that the transcendent state was within the Alpha range of brain waves. Another interesting point is that small children spend much of their time in Alpha, during which time they absorb much of their initial knowledge of the world around them.

Slowing the frequency, and lower the peaks once again puts the waveform into the Theta range. This is an extremely broad range when applied to human activity. Within this range we find everything from creativity and brainstorming, to daydreaming; from the immediate pre- and post- sleep states, to light dream sleep. This is felt to be a state where the so-called filters between the conscious and subconscious minds are ‘pulled back’ to allow easier exchange and access of information.

The final range is labeled Delta. These are the slowest, and lowest waveforms. These are seen during deep sleep.

Using this frame of reference, the brainwave states commonly utilized during hypnosis are the Alpha, and the Theta states. Please notice, however that these states are seen each and every day in everyone’s brains’ electrical patterns. This should suggest to you that hypnosis is a natural occurrence, happening to each of us on a daily basis. It has often been suggested that the role of the hypnotherapist is to DE-hypnotize the client! During our natural states of ‘hypnosis’ we gather most of our life’s programming, some of which is less than beneficial!

Another way of characterizing hypnosis is through the elements that are often present during a hypnotic trance. The five most classic are as follows:
1) Physical relaxation.
2) Heightened awareness
3) Focused concentration
4) Repetition
5) Expectation

Physical relaxation, though not actually a requirement of a trance state, is by and far the simplest method of tapping into trance. The deeper the relaxation, generally speaking, the deeper the trance. (Picture the television watcher, mentioned earlier.)

Heightened awareness comes as a surprise to many. The concept is somehow out there that the mind shuts down, when for the most part, the mind opens its awareness more widely than it would when we are concentrating on our immediate needs. In this state sounds, smells, sensations, etc., that would normally be filtered from our immediate awareness are instead quite apparent, or easily accessed.

Focused concentration is an element necessitated by that heightened awareness. Without the ability to focus on the subject at hand, the heightened awareness would lead to a very scattered awareness… This would rarely be considered beneficial in a formal hypnosis session.

Repetition is very useful when achieving change is the goal. For instance, a habit is reinforced repeatedly each time the action is repeated. It would be optimistic in the extreme to expect that a single suggestion, given once will oust a long-standing, often reinforced activity. Repetition will help embed a new action, to replace the old.

And finally, expectation is a cornerstone. What we expect to happen, we plan for. We anticipate, and set the stage for. If we plan to be successful, we set the stage for success, we anticipate, and set ourselves up for success. Success doesn’t happen in a vacuum: we make it happen. If we fully expect success, we do what it will take to see that we achieve it!
This may seem a bit abstract; so let me bring it into simpler terms. An easy way to enter a good trance state is through deep relaxation. Heightened awareness usually follows. With focused concentration this state can then be utilized for change, often using repetition. Expectation is a key to achieving your desired results. Thus, the greater the relaxation, the deeper the trance. It follows that the brainwaves will be found to be slower.

But wait! We aren’t in a half-awake state when we’re brainstorming, are we? Well, not exactly. We may actually be at least a quarter or more ‘awake.’ Perhaps you have heard the statement that 95% of the population uses 10% of their mind or less. Brainstorming is a function of Theta brainwaves. In the Alpha state, we say that the filters between the conscious and subconscious mind(s) are ‘pulled back’ allowing information to flow between the two more freely. In the Theta state, with its slower frequency, those filters may be pictured as being further retracted, allowing an even easier flow between the conscious and subconscious states. Thus, one of the benefits of hypnosis, and trance in general, is the access provided to our greater minds.

Let me return to that idea about 10% of the mind. I like to use the illustration of an iceberg, floating in the ocean. Ten percent of the iceberg shows above the water, while the remaining 90% is hidden beneath the waterline, out of sight. Picture your conscious awareness as the 10%. Beneath the waves, out of sight, lies the remainder of your mind, doing its thing to keep you functioning successfully. The vast majority of the population is unable to connect with anything below the ‘waterline’ in their minds with awareness. Hypnosis can be a tool to aid in that connection. (It is certainly not the only tool, but it is one of the quickest and easiest.) Picture the ‘iceberg’ of your mind as sort of pyramid shaped. Place your conscious mind on top, your subconscious beneath the waterline, and, as the bottom section, upon which all the above rests, imagine your superconscious mind.

The superconscious mind is characterized in different ways. Some relate it to Freud’s Super Ego. Others refer to it as the higher self or the more spiritual self. Whatever you call it, it is the foundation upon which the rest of our bodies and personalities are built.

Now, imagine that you invert that pyramid. Just flip it over. Now imagine that your conscious mind sort of rests in your head, with your subconscious spreading out above it, and continuing out and up into your superconscious mind. Picture yourself in a crowd, each of your minds set up in this inverted pyramid. What happens at the tops? I get this simplistic view that suggests a conceptualization of Jung’s Collective Consciousness theory. It is one of my favorite visuals. It also lends a new meaning to the phrase “your head in the clouds.” Wink

So just what does this suggest about hypnosis? Hypnosis is a method to help people get in touch with more of their own minds. Beyond that, a lot can be possible.

(CONTINUED IN NEXT POST)
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:14 p    Post subject: Hypnosis - Con't Reply with quote

The hypnotic state may be accessed in a variety of ways. There are instant and rapid inductions, startling and gentle ones, and bore- you- into- trance styles. I have even been annoyed into trance! Once you are familiar with the state, it is easiest and quickest to simply move into that state, rather than going through whatever steps the hypnotist decides upon.

For many people, this reality is something they resist, (in effect giving away their power.) The statement “All hypnosis is self hypnosis,” is for the most part true. (It may be totally true, but I hate making absolute statements.) They are looking outside themselves for a quick fix, and someone with magic answers. Some of the most satisfied weight-loss clients I’ve had were the ones who told me exactly what it would take for them to lose weight. Most were shocked at their own ability to do so. The reality is that we have a lot to say on some level about our own realities, and we have the answers if we just open ourselves to them. Hypnosis can allow that. Self hypnosis can as well, but in some cases, a guide is a good thing when we hit unfamiliar territory, as the greater mind is to so many. Thus the hypnotist or hypnotherapist has a role in the process.

A typical hypnosis session can be divided into parts. The pre-talk is the part where the client and hypnotist gain some rapport, while delving into the needs and desires of the client. Hopefully the hypnotist takes some time here to educate the client as to what to expect, if not just what hypnosis is, and to answer questions. A really good hypnotist actually begins the session during this phase, both relaxing the client, and dropping some initial suggestions. Testing may also be done, or it may be incorporated into the next phase, or it may be skipped. The next phase is called induction. This is where the client enters the trance state at some level. (Remember that each brainwave is in fact a range of brainwaves, encompassing a variety of actual states. Over 200 levels of trance have been documented by some researchers.) Suggestions may also be given during this phase, to enhance the level, as well as to get the session into the more ‘productive’ phase. Deepening follows, and while many of us are using this process to begin to work on things as well, the name correctly suggests that the trance level or relaxation level is deepened during this phase. The suggestion phase is next, and covers all sorts of work, from regression to parts therapy, from NLP to direct suggestion, to non-directive hypnosis. This would be where you might take someone to visit that higher part of him/herself. In the next section, post-hypnotic suggestions are given, and finally, the client is instructed to return to a normal state of alertness, possibly with everything being reinforced in the process. In practice, the divisions are often less clear-cut.

As you can see, there is room for quite a bit of variety in the general set up. Some therapists choose to be almost parental and directive, others allow a great deal of freedom. Some insist on extremely deep states, and some will work at whatever level the client finds comfortable. Unfortunately, some therapists learn about two or three standard scripts, and never vary or deviate from them in their entire careers. While helpful to some clients, these are not the people I would wish on the majority. Instead most hypnotists eventually develop their own personal styles, often a mixture from the various schools of thought. This, unless the style just doesn’t work for the individual, offers the most freedom and flexibility, thus the best chances for success in the client.
The therapy may range in cost from $25 to untold heights, though the price does not guarantee success. (Though in the higher ranges it may act as a deterrent to those not truly interested in change.) Self -hypnosis is generally free, in my experience, though people may take classes to learn to develop their skills.

One of the things that make hypnosis such a valuable tool is its adaptability. Almost anything can be combined with hypnosis, or can be converted to a hypnotic methodology. After years of developing my own style, I was asked what my ‘specialty’ is. I thought about it, and finally replied “Vibrational hypnosis:” metaphysical hypnosis with a distinct flavor of energy work. There isn’t really such a classification, but that does best describe my style, on the whole. Do I combine actual energy work with hypnosis? Yes, but I also turn hypnosis into energy experiences through imagery, and in fact, have taught this method at the National Guild of Hypnotists’ annual conference a couple of years. It is not only fun, but also effective.

How can you turn hypnosis into an energy experience? You use the tool known as imagery. Imagery is the individual’s ability to recall or imagine sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings, both emotionally and kinesthetically. While not all individuals can function as easily in any given sensory mode, everyone can think in terms of at least one, and often more than one sense. Therefore, to induce a good trance, and deepen it, the hypnotist engages as many senses as possible. While the most common means is often a pleasant visualization, there is no reason that energy concepts cannot be gently introduced into even the most mundane session. This can be done as easily as having the client imagine floating into the air, and floating up through a rainbow. As each color is entered into, you may engage the senses: What does this color band look, smell, sound, taste, and feel like. How does this color make different parts of your body feel? Align those parts, which would most benefit from this feeling to this color. Voila! Instant color therapy, and the client does the work!

I sometimes have the individual balance their chakras, without ever using the word chakra, by having them open a series of valves lined up their body. Open the one at the base of the spine, and let the red run out and fill your entire body with the color red. Move up to the orange valve, open it, and fill yourself with orange. Then the same with yellow, green, blue, indigo/purple, and white, until all are equal and balanced. (I tried having people close them, or at least adjust them when finished, as I was always reading things about not leaving them open, so that energy wouldn’t leak out, but I don’t buy that idea. My clients who’d experienced it both ways also had something definite to say about it. I now just leave them open and in balance and let them find their own ‘adjustment” which, I am told by clients, happens in about three days.

Specific energy modalities may be introduced through visualization, whether through having the client directly experience them, or through visualizing a master practitioner working on them. My preference is directly experiencing, but for some a master healer or wise teacher is a useful visualization. As you can imagine, a great deal of healing is possible in a session such as this.

Likewise, hypnotic elements can easily find their ways into the work of healers. Though it takes some practice by most Americans, and undoubtedly others, phrasing things in a positive light is important. Avoiding words such as don’t, not, can’t, etc. is difficult at times for someone with years of experience. An old principle known as pharzing explains the advisability of learning to do this, however. Pharzing is the subconscious minds’ tendency to record only positives. Negatives just are not heard. Think about this. A small child spends most of its waking time in alpha brainwaves, where things go directly into the subconscious mind. If you understand the pharzing principle, you can immediately see why, when you say to a toddler, “Don’t drop that glass!” the glass is shortly in pieces on the floor. The subconscious mind, with which the child is working, hears “drop that glass.” No wonder we think they are contrary! If instead we say,” Hold onto the glass with two hands,” we have a better chance of keeping it intact! When an adult is in a physically relaxed state, it is important that we keep our wording positive. If you’ve ever had a person turn into spaghetti as you gave a Reiki treatment, you have triggered some degree of trance, and the pharzing principle should be adhered to scrupulously.

At the same time, positive statements should be repeated, expanded upon, and gently murmured in an almost subliminal voice. The client can be asked to repeat them in thought or aloud. During the use of SHK (Reiki II’s) positive programming is very easily accomplished, especially with the head positions. The repetition of phrases and statements, as well as working up variations upon them is called compounding, and seems to embed suggestions deeper into the subconscious mind. (Ex. You are relaxed whenever you sit in a chair. You sit comfortably to write. Holding a pen or pencil triggers these suggestions, and you enjoy holding pens and pencils… You are calm as you recall information you’ve learned in the past. You remember the answers to questions when you sit comfortably holding a pen or pencil. Test questions that once upset you now cause that inner wisdom to emerge, because you are sitting comfortably. Etc.) The same sentence can also be repeated a great number of times, to good effect.

As suggestions such as these are given, working with your voice can help strengthen them. With each repetition, different words can be emphasized. Vowel sounds can be drawn out in a way that will help balance the energy field, as well as enhancing relaxation. Of course, at the same time, background sounds must be harmonious. Music without words is generally best, to minimize the possibility of conflicting messages or misplaced focus of attention by the client.

In a good state of relaxation, the client may also be able to scan his/her own body, and locate blockages, or places where tension is being held. You may wish to have them describe that area, relating it to something else. i.e. tight muscles might be red, or might seem like iron bands. An emotion might be associated with the description. Have them determine what the opposite might be. (In our example, perhaps the opposites might be cool green, or silly putty.) At this point you might ask them how to get rid of the red, for instance, and replace it with the cool green. Now, here is the beauty of this type of hypnosis (indirect and nondirective, and related to NLP): the subconscious mind is choosing the symbols to represent the problem, and the symbols suggested to relieve the problem are, however silly they may seem to you, generally the most direct way of relieving the situation. The subconscious mind does not need conscious understanding in order to make a change!

For years we have been taught that to understand a problem is to allow change, and if we don’t understand it, we won’t be able to change it. Where hypnosis is concerned, this is often outright WRONG! Intellectual understanding does not automatically equate with emotional change. If the subconscious mind, which uses the language of imagery, chooses symbols/images to represent the problem, it is quite capable of suggesting symbols/images, which will correct the problem on all levels without ever involving conscious knowledge. And where past lives may be concerned, intellectual knowledge is not always acceptable to the individual. Thus the use of symbols relieves the problem without engaging mental gymnastics for the individual.

Edited 2/18/2001 3:43:38 AM ET by MSYA

(CONTINUED IN 3RD POST)
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:17 p    Post subject: Hypnosis (part 3) Reply with quote

Another aspect of accepting whatever the subconscious mind is symbolically representing and working with it to heal or even just to deal with a problem relates to a discussion currently appearing in the spirits and reincarnation thread. Where the individual is in a trance state, if they bring up the idea of a spirit possession, whether or not the therapist believes in spirit possession is a moot point. The subconscious may be said to be using this symbology to represent the problem. To try to intellectually persuade them that spirit attachments are superstition can actually block your ability to help this individual. If the client’s subconscious uses such symbology, then the appropriate response would be to assist the spirits into heaven, the white light, their own dimension, or whatever symbology is suggested or intuited as appropriate. Just as the therapist does not have to believe in reincarnation to help heal someone’s past life, (or for that matter, the client does not have to believe in it, for it to work) if s/he is open-minded enough, s/he can use the technique with the understanding that it does not have to be physical reality to work! I have gained more than one client when another therapist, in an attempt to correct wrong thinking, has told an individual that reincarnation is so much hooey! Better to use the therapy, if that is where the individual is coming from, than to deny their reality, and shut off their attempts to heal!
(She climbs down from her soapbox.)

Remember, trance states are by no means limited to formally induced hypnotic states. Many of the energy therapies induce some degree of trance by their very nature. Mesmer, the famous French physician who experimented widely with trance states and healing, was famed for his “Mesmeric passes.” These passes through the energy field were almost indistinguishable from modern Therapeutic Touch, as well as many other auric cleansing styles. There is something about manipulating a person’s energy field which frequently, and almost without awareness, induces trance.

However, just because your client is in a trance does not mean that they will mindlessly accept any suggestion. Trance states are completely under the control of the individual. While they may choose to allow someone to guide them, they may pull themselves out of trance at any time. This, for years, caused many people to doubt the existence of trance, and to refer to hypnosis as chicanery. However, as any of you who’ve spent much time in any sort of trance state (including draped over a chair in front of a television) can testify, trance feels good. Most individuals enjoy trance, and don’t need a whole lot of convincing to feel so nice and relaxed. This is one of those facets which have led to fears by the ignorant of becoming ‘trapped’ in hypnosis. If the hypnotist counts a client up, and the client isn’t ready, guess who wins??? At least until the therapist decides to clear the chair for the next client!

Being aware of your clients’ trance states and the potential implications can help you to understand a lot about their responses, and the potentials. There are a number of telltale signs of trance, some of which you might find it helpful to be aware of. It is easy to decide that the person who is all but asleep on your table is probably in trance, but what else might you look for? Slowed breathing is a clue. Another obvious one is rapid eye movements. By this I mean flickering movements of the eyeball behind closed lids. Should you be doing some sort of guided imagery, eye movements which seem to follow a line of vision might also count, as would muscle twitches indicating climbing imaginary, but suggested stairs, for instance. A third simple to spot sign is after the fact. If the clients’ eyes are red at the end of the session, they have probably been quite deep in a trance state. While there are others, if any of these easy to spot signs of trance are present, you can be sure of some degree of trance.

Another aspect of accepting whatever the subconscious mind is symbolically representing and working with it to heal or even just to deal with a problem relates to a discussion currently appearing in the spirits and reincarnation thread. Where the individual is in a trance state, if they bring up the idea of a spirit possession, whether or not the therapist believes in spirit possession is a moot point. The subconscious may be said to be using this symbology to represent the problem. To try to intellectually persuade them that spirit attachments are superstition can actually block your ability to help this individual. If the client’s subconscious uses such symbology, then the appropriate response would be to assist the spirits into heaven, the white light, their own dimension, or whatever symbology is suggested or intuited as appropriate. Just as the therapist does not have to believe in reincarnation to help heal someone’s past life, (or for that matter, the client does not have to believe in it, for it to work) if s/he is open-minded enough, s/he can use the technique with the understanding that it does not have to be physical reality to work! I have gained more than one client when another therapist, in an attempt to correct wrong thinking, has told an individual that reincarnation is so much hooey! Better to use the therapy, if that is where the individual is coming from, than to deny their reality, and shut off their attempts to heal!
(She climbs down from her soapbox.)

Remember, trance states are by no means limited to formally induced hypnotic states. Many of the energy therapies induce some degree of trance by their very nature. Mesmer, the famous French physician who experimented widely with trance states and healing, was famed for his “Mesmeric passes.” These passes through the energy field were almost indistinguishable from modern Therapeutic Touch, as well as many other auric cleansing styles. There is something about manipulating a person’s energy field which frequently, and almost without awareness, induces trance.

However, just because your client is in a trance does not mean that they will mindlessly accept any suggestion. Trance states are completely under the control of the individual. While they may choose to allow someone to guide them, they may pull themselves out of trance at any time. This, for years, caused many people to doubt the existence of trance, and to refer to hypnosis as chicanery. However, as any of you who’ve spent much time in any sort of trance state (including draped over a chair in front of a television) can testify, trance feels good. Most individuals enjoy trance, and don’t need a whole lot of convincing to feel so nice and relaxed. This is one of those facets which have led to fears by the ignorant of becoming ‘trapped’ in hypnosis. If the hypnotist counts a client up, and the client isn’t ready, guess who wins??? At least until the therapist decides to clear the chair for the next client!

Being aware of your clients’ trance states and the potential implications can help you to understand a lot about their responses, and the potentials. There are a number of telltale signs of trance, some of which you might find it helpful to be aware of. It is easy to decide that the person who is all but asleep on your table is probably in trance, but what else might you look for? Slowed breathing is a clue. Another obvious one is rapid eye movements. By this I mean flickering movements of the eyeball behind closed lids. Should you be doing some sort of guided imagery, eye movements which seem to follow a line of vision might also count, as would muscle twitches indicating climbing imaginary, but suggested stairs, for instance. A third simple to spot sign is after the fact. If the clients’ eyes are red at the end of the session, they have probably been quite deep in a trance state. While there are others, if any of these easy to spot signs of trance are present, you can be sure of some degree of trance.
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:19 p    Post subject: Hypnosis (Con't -- Q&A section) Reply with quote

>>Where the individual is in a trance state, if they bring up the idea of a spirit possession, whether or not the therapist believes in spirit possession is a moot point.

I agree with this, in part. The other conversation, in regards to spirit possession, was based on the concept that one could become demonically possessed if using a Ouija board, or Tarot cards. This is the part I strongly disagree with; UNLESS you Believe beforehand that it is possible to become possessed while using the ouija and/or tarot, it simply will not happen. If you want to see demons, or believe that you will... then you will. With that said, it stands to reason that if a person does believe such things, s/he will not use these tools to begin with.

I fully agree with you that whether or not the therapist believes in spirit possion is a moot point. On the other hand, wouldn't it be more beneficial to the patient for the therapist to get to the root of the problem, and resolve those issues, so that the patient does not continue to experience demonic possession? I'm not a licensed hynpotherapist, however, it seems to me that "playing along" (for lack of better term) by helping the patient guide the entity into the light, so to speak, only glosses over the real issue(s) and leaves the door open for repossession any time the patient feels the NEED - on some level - to experience such things/trauma.

This is a very interesting topic, msya! Again I thank you for taking the time to do this!

Terri
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:19 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<<On the other hand, wouldn't it be more beneficial to the patient for the therapist to get to the root of the problem, and resolve those issues, so that the patient does not continue to experience demonic possession? I'm not a licensed hynpotherapist, however, it seems to me that "playing along" (for lack of better term) by helping the patient guide the entity into the light, so to speak, only glosses over the real issue(s) and leaves the door open for repossession any time the patient feels the NEED - on some level - to experience such things/trauma. >>>>

Hypnotherapists are only licensed in a couple of states. In many they are totally unregulated. In others there is some regulation. It makes for difficulty in explaining credentials, if nothing else, since in at least one of the states where there is licensure, it is about on the level of gettinng a fishing license. Most certifications are more stringent than those, but again, there are some that are jokes. The National Guild reuires 15 hours of continuing ed annually to maintain certification, once you get it, (more than the Board of Nursing in my state requires for license renewal!)so their certification means something.

Okay, looking back at what I wrote I see that I addressed only that portion of things. In my experience, spirit attachments, or other attachments, crop up in the middle of routine therapy. In these instances, you deal with them in order to get back to the therapy. But remember, if the subconscious mind, which works on a different set of rules than the conscious mind, presents a symbol, and you ignore that symbol, you may be ignoring the key to the entire process. That symbol may represent the cause of the problem, and dealing with it may move you a great distance ahead in the therapy.

Now, if you want to do hypnoanalysis, we are talking about something that is more like talk counseling. It has its place, but it is certainly not the be all and end all of methodologies. In that you would rarely deal with something on a symbolic level. Here you would work through a problem through searching level by level for the inital event that triggered that problem. While using hypnoanalysis is still much more rapid a therapy than regular counseling, it tends to require more sessions over all than non-directive or indirect methods. I can do hypnoanalysis, but rarely use it, as my clients don't want to stretch things out, and often cannot or will not pay for that many sessions. Insurance does not often cover hypnosis, and those who want it are often not financially well endowed. Thus, with my clients hypnoanalysis is rarely my first choice. (I bring this up mostly because you 'feel' to me as if you have your roots deeply into the sort of thought patterns that standard counseling uses. It is common, given the cultural outlook promoted for a generation or two.)

I don't want to get really technical here. The real bottom line is, if you believe it has to work in one certain way, and that no other way will work, well, either you are in for a surprise, courtesy of your subconscious mind, or you will resist the idea that change can occur outside your framework (reality) and you will firmly remain in your reality regardless of opportunity to change. This goes back to what I said about expectation. If you expect that you will have problems later because you have not chewed and wrestled with a problem and found consciously something that you can call the cause, and worked hard to heal that cause, then guess what you will set yourself up for??? It isn't that that way doesn't work. Just that other ways work, too. Just as we can limit oursellves with our belief systems where Reiki is concerned, we can limit ourselves with hypnosis (or anything. Hey, We humans have talent!)

A lot of hypnosis is about perspectives. We sometimes joke about mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. It is nice to think that a lot of the people in the more so-called metaphysical areas are less restrictive in their ideas, but anyone can get locked into a certain perspective that works for them, and forget that there are others which work as well.

let me take this in a different direction. (Sorry if it's overkill.)
The subconscious mind is that part that protects and nurtures you. It is also that part where the spiritual interfaces with the mental/emotional/physical. Suppose you come into this life with a plan to deal with issues relating to loss of control (spiritual lesson.) The subconscious takes the raw material of your earlly or not so early life and makes choices regarding your responses. If when things are rough and you feel as if you are losing control your subconscious mind's experiences are based on a childhood where you onlly received attention by being ill, it is likely to produce illness to bring you that feeling of attention (control.) If instead, your family used shouting matches and throwing plates, your subconscious might produce anger and an adrenaline rush when things don't go your way. If both patterns were there, it would chose one of the two, or a mixture of both.

Now in reality, there are many more than two potential responses to any given circumstance. The subconscious, working with whatever information--often limited-- it has, reviews many possible responses to a problem, and chooses the response that seems most expedient. Sometimes it will stick with the response long after it is no longer effective, or the response is actually harmful in the greater scheme of things. The important thing to remember is that the subconscious has that persons's best interest in mind, even if it seems misguided. (Here we are applying judgement. if the individual has more lessons to learn from a situation it is going to keep coming up, either in this lifetime, or we may carry it into the "next") Sometiiimes the subconscious is interpreting a humongous set of directives from the spritual, and the responses to the situation may make no sense to us. In cases like this,a symbolic representation by the sub- or super- conscious mind allows us to deal with things in a concrete manner that would take us months or years to deal with otherwise. When we allow ourselves to open to our mind's massive abilities, we find ourselves in a whole new dimension. Methods like tapping can clear a problem in minutes that otherwise would take years. Why? Because our subconscious just needs that little trigger to change long established patterns. ( Tapping is used by hypnotherapists as well as some nonhypnotherapists, It interfaces energy work with suggestion, and it can work fast. The Emotional Freedom Technique is, I believe, the formal name.)

I'm getting tired. I hope I haven't lost track of the thoughts I was responding to.
Night!
Love,
Msya
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:21 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>In my experience, spirit attachments, or other attachments, crop up in the middle of routine therapy. In these instances, you deal with them in order to get back to the therapy.

You're right... I've seen this happen during a Reiki session as well. One never knows what's going to come to mind during a therapy session, or during meditation.

So then, if I understand you correctly (and in following along with all of your notes), the entity is symbolic of some deeper issues going on within the sub/super conscious? If so, then the it is of their own creation, correct? And your way of dealing with the perceived negative entity is to help the person guide this "negative being" [I use the term "negative being" only as an example, since no one has a problem with seeing "Light Beings." Smile ] into the light... then moving on with the therapy session?

>> A lot of hypnosis is about perspectives. . .

Isn't everything - all situations - a matter of perspective. Smile

Terri
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:21 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<<<So then, if I understand you correctly (and in following along with all of your notes), the entity is symbolic of some deeper issues going on within the sub/super conscious? If so, then the it is of their own creation, correct? And your way of dealing with the perceived negative entity is to help the person guide this "negative being" [I use the term "negative being" only as an example, since no one has a problem with seeing "Light Beings." Smile ] into the light... then moving on with the therapy session?>>>>>

That is certainly one of the accepted theories. I am always hesitant to state anything as gospel, since "there is more benealth heaven and earth..." etc. In any case, sometimes regardless of what these things are, the attachment is of long standing--many lifetimes. Dealing with it in the present, based on present understanding, may not heal issues from "previous lifetimes" which also dealt with the effects. (This is getting into some areas of past life therapy, which is interesting, but not quite on this topic.)But specifically, to clarify, getting it taken care of , where it doesn't completely solve the the problem(s) does allow one to get back to the issues at hand.
Whether these are thought forms created by the subconscious, the individual, or other indiividuals, or whether they are sentient beings of some sort is a judgement I do not always want to make. If I can deal with them, in order to get on with things, then I will do so. Regardless of the source, the need to remedy the problem exists.
An interesting note is that one can be intellectually 'enlightened' in this lifetime, but still be carrying things picked up during other times, or even prenatally. This is by no means limited to entities, but often includes vows made "forever." (I think it is good that marriage vows say "until death do us part!" LOL)

I wrote some other stuff last night, but my browser dumped me, and I don't remember what it was. Oh! except that I had n't seen this note until then, because I haven't been getting emails consistantly, especially from delphi!

Love,
Msya
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:22 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI
My answers to your questions keep not happening. Let's see if my browser cooperates this time.

>>>>So then, if I understand you correctly (and in following along with all of your notes), the entity is symbolic of some deeper issues going on within the sub/super conscious? If so, then the it is of their own creation, correct? And your way of dealing with the perceived negative entity is to help the person guide this "negative being" [I use the term "negative being" only as an example, since no one has a problem with seeing "Light Beings." Smile ] into the light... then moving on with the therapy session<<<<

MOre or less, yes.
But I don't limit the world to my reality, necessarily. Where I can easily see it as a creation of the subconscious mind, I can also see it as a thought form, not necessarily of their own making. For instance, if in a former life, the entire community decided there were demons attached because the person had seizures, then their collective thought forms might actually be what is attached. (We humans work together well to create problems.)The accepted reality of that period might be so strong in some part of the subconscious that that creation is still attached.
(Then again, who am I to say that humans are the only sentient beings in the universe, and that there aren't beings out there creating their own realities, which include feeding off the energies of other species, much as we feed upon animals and plants?)

Another source of problems for individuals that is sometimes overlooked are vows from past lifetimes. I think that it is a good thing that marriage vows in our culture say only "until death do us part." Imagine if you had vowed to remain with someone forever, who turned out to be a huge mistake??? Vows of poverty, chastity, revenge, and other things 'forever," or "until the end of time," are sometimes still taken seriously by some portion of the subconscious mind. While it can be argued that we make our own reality, we often have baggage left over from other times that we consciously haven't a clue about. The trance state can do a lot toward uncovering these things, given time and work. By creating symbols, the subconscious allows us to cut through a lot of drudge work and just release it.
Following a really good release of the causes, the hypnotist will then help set the individual on the road to recovery by making some positive suggestions. (Never leave a void, we are sometimes told.)

Oh, one other point, from your note above. "Light beings" in fact, come in several varieties, and yes, some people are not happy to have them there. Perspectives, again. (Light beings is simply a generic term for energy beings, and can include some other dimiensional types.-- Again, not being ego-centric about ourselves and our uniqueness in the universe.)
Love and Light (couldn't resist adding that)
Msya
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:24 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is time to talk about Past Life Therapy. People who, as Terri puts it, "use their past lives as a crutch" obviously didn't get any therapy--Or didn't use it. On the other hand, there are other ways of using PLT that make a whole lot of sense if you are working on improvement. Past Life Therapy (PLT) is a broad term which encompasses a variety of techniques, as well as goals.

The one hypnotherapists tend to think of first is discovering the cause of a current problem to have originated in another lifetime (sometimes unexpectedly) and healing it from that perspective. At times just showing someone that their problem has nothing to do with their current life is enough to cause the person to release that response. On the other hand, as I've mentioned previously, intellectual knowledge does not necessarily induce change. (I suspect that Terri's acquaintances fell into this category.)

DETOUR--There was a strong belief encouraged in a very prominent school of hypnosis thought that promoted the knowledge will set you free idea. This was taught to a lot of doctors and dentists at the time. When I first read this material it set my teeth on edge. The guy who developed a lot of the techniques behind this mind set, while a genius when it came to hypnosis, didn't understand some common sense reactions of people, especially kids. I eventually learned the hypnosis gems he developed, but I still don't buy the knowledge will set you free idea. END OF DETOUR

More to the point is conducting therapy--whatever style seems most appropriate-- on the problem at its source, with the intent of resolving the problem. Need I state that sometimes this takes a few visits? Not everyone is willing to fully resolve a problem, even though they show up at the hypnotist's office. Regardless, PLT is a tool in many hypnotists' bags. This includes more than one who do not believe in past lives! They believe only in the subconscious mind projecting the life as a symbol of the problem. And guess what? It doesn't matter. It still works.

Another style of past life regression is more about exploration. In this style, the curiosity of the individual is the key. They will be guided to a life, often in the near past. For anyone who wonders, most lives are pretty mundane. One of my early clients had been having dreams, and wanted confirmation. After a great deal of resistance on her part she finally found a way in which she was comfortable going back to the lifetime she seemed to be recalling. There she confirmed that she was an upper-class young woman in England, in the middle ages. She lived an isolated life, but married her love. She died a few years later in childbirth. She later was able to go to England and confirm a number of the things she brought up. For the most part, people's recollections are not of lives elevated enough to warrant finding records of.

The first regression I ever did was with a young woman. She recalled about four lives during the session. The last was one in which she was a man who was torn from his home and incarcerated in a hole underground, where he went mad. That was probably the worst thing any of my clients have ever brought up. I might add that the young woman had a lot of psychological problems, but that none of the other lives gave any warning of what she was about to uncover. Unfortunately, she pulled herself right out of trance, and would never use it again, except to give herself a drugless high. (The fact that she was able to do something so positive with self-hypnosis makes up in my mind for the horrible memory that she pulled up. That and the fact that she dissociated it from herself almost immediately. Perhaps not ideal, but much preferable to identifying with the madness, since she was not interested in therapy, just experimentation.) I threw that in in part because I want to make the point that often it is the emotional tenor of the lifetime that is recalled in detail--not the name and address type detail that investigators love so well.

This sort of leads into the style that I have had most of my training in. That is the finding of patterns. In this style of past life regression, one visits a series of lives, dipping in for the highlights only. At the end of each lifetime the individual reviews the lifetime in terms of spiritual gains and losses, and lessons learned. After a while, a pattern begins to emerge for many people. An individual might make constant swings back and forth between warrior and priest, or victim and aggressor, for instance, as if there is something particular in whichever modes that they wish to learn or resolve. There might also be some lifetimes, which seem to be dealing with other aspects, intermingled in the mix. Once the patterns are identified, the individual may choose to make the changes necessary to break the pattern, or resolve the problem.

One of the most interesting I’ve heard of was a man who was abused as a child, who eventually discovered that he was also his great great (something) grandmother, who began the cycle of abuse in that family tree. This gives an interesting slant to 'AS ye sow, so shall ye reap."

In the patterns style, an individual lifetime is less important than the direction the life is headed. Also, if the individual is in a holding pattern with certain types of behavior, insight is sometimes available (particularly in the between lives portion) to help break the pattern. Another aspect of this is the sending of love and forgiveness to each individual in each lifetime, so that healing can begin at the source.

One interesting development in the last decade or so in PLT is the discovery and bringing forward of previous talents. This must be done carefully, of course. If you want to bring forward your ability to paint from a previous lifetime, but not the painter's drunkenness, the personality with the painting skills needs some therapy first! This is an exciting area that is emerging and bears watching.
Terri R.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:25 p    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waking hypnosis is a technique I often use. It is closely related to a specialized field which is an offshoot of hypnosis, known as neurolinguistic programming. It requires a light trance stat, such as slow deep breathing from the abdomen for thirty to sixty seconds generally provides.
In the following exercize, from the nlpezine, the term anchor is used. This is generally accomplished by touching a body part. YOu might anchhor something negatiive to a spot on your forearm, for instance, and poitive on the other arm. Earlobes, and fingertips are also commonly used.

Here is "FEAR INTO POWER".

1. Access the feeling of fear. Isolate it. Where is it? Chest, shoulders etc.? What color is it? Make it real. Imagine the fearful event. Anchor this lightly.
2. Find your "Circle of Power". Imagine a circle on the floor. Make it you at your very best. This should be a time in your life when you felt strong, confident and unstoppable. What color is it? Is it moving or still? Does it have some sounds? A certain smell in the air?
3. Step into the circle and feel these feelings. Make them stronger. Add some powerful music, and people cheering!!!!! Anchor this.

Now that is the first part. Now for the Magic of Your Mind!!

4. Begin to access the feeling of fear. As you notice the fear starting to grow…..
5. Step into your Circle of Power.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 several times.
7. Now test your feelings. Try in vain to feel fearful of the event and notice how you automatically go into a state of power.

Use this with yourself or others. This technology is to be shared with the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HealingDeva.com Forum Index -> Online Classes All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: