The following guidelines are the basis of holistic nutrition. Compare your present eating regimen with the guidelines presented, and do your best to make any changes that seem natural and easy.
1. Eat 70% whole, complete, unrefined and unadulterated foods (fruit, vegetables and salads) per day. These should be fresh, as close to organic as possible, and pesticide-free.
2. Do not eat proteins and starches at the same meal. Eat proteins at lunch, with non-starchy vegetables. Eat starches at dinner, with non-starchy vegetables. Meats – When possible, eat organically raised meats, and no more than three (3) times per week. Give preference to fish, poultry, veal, lamb, beef and pork, in that order. This method of eating is referred to as proper food combining and will help the body by diverting precious healing energy from the digestive process to the processes of detoxification and healing. Healing occurs when the body is also properly nourished. By eating this way, a full day’s eating will only require about fifteen percent (15%) of the day’s allotment of energy, leaving eighty-five percent (85%) for natural detoxification and healing. Energy is required for all of these processes.
3. Allow approximately 4 hours to lapse between protein and starch meals.
4. Starches and fats can be eaten at the same meal.
5. Take dairy products alone or at least with neutral vegetables.
6. Eat at least one all fruit or all-vegetable meal per day. If possible, eat the all-fruit meal in the morning.
7. Have one “live food day” once per week; eat only raw fruits and raw or slightly steamed vegetables with plenty of fresh salad.
8. Take any suggested nutrition supplements with meals, and take digestive enzymes with any cooked meal.
9. Space an interval of three hours between the end of dinner and bedtime.
10. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning and an additional 15 minutes before each meal.
Proper food combining keeps the digestive system clean, healthy, and working at optimum efficiency. When foods are miscombined (i.e.: heavy concentrated proteins and starches being eaten at the same meal), toxins are produced and sent into the bloodstream where they are transported throughout the body. Also, miscombined meals tend to clog the digestive tract, which results in a decreased absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream.
Fresh raw fruit is one of the best sources of roughage that can be eaten; its action of effectively “sweeping” out the digestive tract and adding bulk and moisture to the waste products is unquestioned. In order for fruit to effectively help in maintaining and regaining health, a few guidelines for its consumption should be followed.
- Do not eat fresh fruit with or immediately following anything.
- Space 30-45 minutes between the last serving of fresh fruit and any “properly-combined” meal.
- Fresh fruit can be eaten as a snack 3 hours after any meal.
- If miscombined meals are eaten, spend the next day eating fresh raw fruits, especially if feeling bloated, gassy, or uncomfortable. The fruit will help to cleanse the residues produced from the intestinal system.
NUTRIENT SOURCES OF PROTEIN (CONCENTRATED FOODS) – Cheese (natural varieties), coconut, eggs, fish, fowl, meats, milk, nuts and nut butters, peanuts, seeds and seed butters, shellfish, soybeans, tofu.
CARBOHYDRATES (CONCENTRATED FOODS) – Beans, bread and crackers, cereals, lentils, pasta, potatoes, pumpkins, rice, split peas, whole grains, winter squash.
NON-STARCHY VEGETABLES (These may be eaten with protein or starch.) — Artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, cucumbers, dandelion greens, kale, leeks, lettuce (all varieties), mushrooms, parsley, peppers (green and red – the non-pungent type), radish, spinach, watercress, zucchini.
EXAMPLES OF PROPERLY COMBINED MEALS:
1. Bananas with cream.
2. Oatmeal with butter and cinnamon.
3. Apples, oranges, and dried fruit.
1. Tuna fish and vegetable salad.
2. Hamburger (lean) patty with sautéed onions and vegetable salad.
3. Vegetable salad with cold turkey or chicken.
1. Baked potato stuffed with sautéed onions and butter or sour cream with vegetable salad and two non-starchy vegetables.
2. Spaghetti with marinara sauce and a vegetable salad.
3. Baked eggplant or vegetable casserole with garlic bread.
An acid-forming meal ideally should never be followed by another acid-forming meal. Follow every meal containing a concentrated protein or starch with an all vegetable or all fruit meal. By alternating “heavy” and “light” meals, you will assure a strong alkaline reserve in the blood.
Article Contributed by Robert S. Harris, N.D., P.M.D., TFTdx
Naturopathic doctor/wellness consultant